5 Ways To Show Up Bigger Than Your Fear
You might have been thinking of doing something new, but fear has been stopping you. It could be fear of the unknown, fear of starting something you know nothing about, fear of failure, fear of if you are capable in the first place…Today I want to have a little heart to heart to help you get over your fears.
The way to beat fear is not to face fear but to show up bigger than your fear. And this is how you do it:
- You have to be kind with yourself, and be ok with the fact that you don’t know what you don’t know. There are a lot of things you don’t know, and that’s ok. What are you going to do about it? You have to come to the realization that there is a lot that you don’t know and that you have to equip yourself with knowledge. So from now on instead of saying to yourself “I don’t know where to start”, “I don’t know how to do this”, start by saying : “I’m going to figure out where to start”, “I’m going to learn how to do this.” See the difference? In the first way you’re positioning yourself as a victim in your life, but in the second you’re becoming a hero in your own life. If you just change the words that you are saying to yourself, you’ll be setting yourself up for success because you are taking control of you the situation instead of letting the situation be in control of you.
- You have to believe in yourself. It’s not enough for you to say “I’m going to figure this out”, “I’m going to learn how to do this.” You have to believe with every fiber of your being that you can actually figure things out and learn and take control of the situation. Because the truth is you really can. No-one was born knowing how to do what they do. They spent hours and days and months and years learning what they do and love. They believed in their ability to succeed and you can too.
- You will not let mistakes define you. We make mistakes because we are human. Mistakes help us learn. Maybe you tried to do something but it failed miserably. Maybe you invested a lot of time, money, effort, and didn’t get the results you wanted. Mistakes and failure do not define who you are. You are not a failure. The attempt was a failure. There is no such thing as over night success. You might think there is, but ask anyone about their success and they will tell you that they made some mistakes and learned some hard lessons along the way. If there is a calling inside of you to do something, you owe it to yourself to do that thing, not matter how many times you get knocked down.
- You are capable of doing great things. In point number 2 I said you need to believe in yourself, but this goes beyond. You need to believe in your ability to learn and you have to believe in your ability to do great, amazing, things. You have everything you need to succeed inside of you. Tell yourself that that business, that degree, that house, that dream can be yours. Actually I want you to imagine that you already have it. Imagine how it looks, how it smells, how it would feel to have that dream come true. How do you feel now? Take that feeling and hold on to it. Think about it every day and believe that you can get there.
- You will not compare yourself to others anymore. This is your journey, your time, your story. Do not compare where you are in your journey to someone else’s. Do not compare your success to someone else’s. Comparison is not good for you. Comparison makes you feel lost, late, defeated, before you even start. Who ever you are right now, where ever you are right now is enough for today. Tomorrow strive to be better than who you were yesterday. That’s the only person you need to be comparing yourself to. Yourself. Make a decision today that you will not compare yourself to others. Tell yourself you are enough today. Tell yourself you are going to be better than yourself, and that's all that matters.
You are capable of learning what you don’t know, mistakes do not define you, you are capable of amazing achievements, and the only person you are going to be better than is who you were yesterday. Strive to be at least %1 better tomorrow than you are today. That’s how you face your fears. That’s how you show up bigger than your fears; equipped with knowledge, confidence, and determination to succeed. Good luck my friend.